Each July, home grilling accidents reach their peak. Around 64% of homeowners in the U.S. own a grill. Going into summer, it’s important to follow these grilling safety tips at your next cookout.
Family Grilling Safety Tips
It’s reported that grill fires cause 37 million dollars in property damages annually. Even more serious are the 100 injuries and 10 fatalities they cause each year on average. Here are some grilling safety tips to keep your family and property safe:
- Keep your grill outdoors at all times. It should be used only in an open space and not underneath any sort of shelter.
- Remove the cover or lid from your gas grill before you turn the gas on.
- Keep children at least 3 feet away from any open fire.
- Never leave toddlers unattended near the grill.
- Have someone watching over the grill at all times when cooking.
- Keep paper products like napkins and paper towels away from a burning grill.
- Never pour lighter fluid directly on a burning fire.
- Wear appropriate protective clothing when grilling. Don’t wear loosely fitted sleeves that could catch fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby at all times.
Pet Safety Tips
Pets can also be harmed during your family cookout. Follow these grilling safety tips to keep pets safe:
- Keep your pets away from your grilling station. Put them in a crate or fenced-in area during your cookout.
- Keep the trashcan out of your pet’s reach when grilling.
- Make sure your grill is stable before lighting it. Confirm the bolts and screws on the stand are secure.
- Don’t feed your pets chicken bones that can make them sick.
Property Safety Tips
- Set up the grill at least 10 feet away from any structures or trees.
- Don’t grill in windy conditions.
- Use a grill pad or an appropriate cover to protect your backyard surfaces.
- Clean the grill after each use once it has completely cooled down.
- Grilling safety includes properly storing your grill to protect it from the elements.
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions on cleaning your grill before storing it.
- Let you grill cool off completely and cover the grill before putting it away.
With these simple grilling safety tips, you ‘ll safely enjoy having family barbeques throughout the warmer months. Keep these tips in mind before, during, and after your cookout.
Certinspectors provides home inspection services to the Hudson Valley in New York. Contact us to schedule an inspection.